Your first question might be what modern materials are for home decor. If your looking for the answer or aren’t even sure what this means, you’ve come to the right place. We are going to list the Top 10 Modern Materials for DIY Home Decor, these are the materials you’ll want to use in your home design, interior design and home decor. Modern materials is a board term, and includes a home that features clean, crisp lines, simple colours and incorporates metal, glass, steel. This is an exciting trend and we’re happy to share how to achieve it!
There may be a commission received if you purchase through links in this post*
Home decor, like any style, is ever changing with trends which is why it’s nice to create pieces that can be removed or updated when needed, without worrying about how much it cost. Modern home design is very popular right now. The use of mixed media within a neutral painted home is on point. You can still add pops of colour, but sparingly and if used, it must add punch. Today we’re bringing you a list of materials that can be used in creating room decor for your DIY projects this year, and likely into the next!
Top 10 Modern Materials for DIY Home Design
1. Neutral Colours:Remember that neutral colours don’t have to be light. Colours like navy blue, deep gold, black and charcoal grey are all included in dark neutral colours. If using dark neutrals, keep in mind that they do pair nicely with light neutrals of the same colour temperature…think warm and cool colours. For example a cool charcoal grey will look nice with cool light neutrals, added colour pop should be from the opposite colour temperature…for this combo consider a warm colour like red or yellow. Modern style suggests using colour in limited quantities, so choose only a small amount of colour, but make it vibrant.
2. Metals:If you can add some metal into your DIY you should! This is a look that is taking over home decor design. We are seeing it in shelving, wall art and so much more. Think iron, steel and chrome, also look for gold or rose gold metal accents. Iron and steel can be used with wood in a natural form or treated with stain/veneer. Chrome should be kept with other reflective materials like glass. Scatter rose gold hints throughout the home with vases, clocks or other decor pieces.
Use Bold Design with DIY Modern Home Decor
3. Wood: We’ve talked about the use of wood in home decor and for a reason, not only does if fall into a modern style, it can be incorporated into a farm house style, vintage and more. Wood is very versatile and should be used where ever you can. Stain it, shine it or leave it au-naturel. Use it with other materials on this list like metals, leather, natural fibres and if you can glass. If you can incorporate barn board into your home, you definitely should, accent walls are popping up in home decor and I love it!
4. Natural fibres: Used in neutral colours fibres such as cotton, wool and hemp are among the popular modern style fibres. Show natural fibres in blankets, pillow covers, rugs, wall art and more. These fibres can be used alone in a project, such as this Hanging Flower Pot or be added to accent another project. Another way to incorporate this look into your home decor is by creating a Macrame Wall Hanging…very fun and addicting to make, this art is coming back, we are seeing it everywhere this year.
5. Glass: This material is a little harder to incorporate into a DIY project, but it can be done! There are many styles of terrariums currently available that look fantastic. You can also create or incorporate glass vases, lamps and jars to your home. Adding glass to iron or wood is ideal, coloured glass is also a great way to add a colour pop to a room’s style.
Remember to use crisp lines and bold items in your home design
6. Crisp Lines: Modern style is seeing more lines in contrast to curves and circles. Crisp lines are included in patterns, such as chevron or geometric accents. Wooden or concrete beams, shelving as well as accent pieces all help create a clean, sharp look. The bolder the better when making a statement, and this is especially true when creating a modern home decor look.
7. Stone: Another material that is used in modern style is stone. Stone can come in many forms, for example you can use marble, sandstone and even concrete. Desk decor, bedroom decor, bathroom decor is all a great place for stone to be when trying to achieve a modern style. Remember that large pieces create the biggest impact.
8. Mirror: As classic decor item, mirrors can be used in a variety of ways. For a modern look, circles are acceptable as well as geometric shapes. With the addition of other materials, a mirror can become a focal point in your room, for example see our Fringed Mirror for inspiration. Using mirrors in home decor is also a great way to brighten a room or make a smaller room appear bigger!
There’s more Top 10 Modern Materials for DIY Home Decor
9. Pattern:While this may seem to go against crisp lines, patterns are a part of modern home design. Pattern can be added to a space in limited quantities in like manner to colour pop. A DIY project that has pattern in the design will accent a modern space nicely, when done correctly. Use an area rug beneath a coffee table in addition to a geometric pillow on top of a sofa.
10. Mixed Media : These materials can be used in addition to each other, in other words, use multiple materials to create one project. Many pieces that you can buy in store are already mixed media for example, a wooden table top with iron legs, a concrete flower pot with wooden feet, a macrame wall hanging with glass beads. You can really be creative when placing these materials together. Keep in mind a modern style is bold yet simple.
We’ve highlighted some great ways to create a modern home decor look in your home. Many items can be bought online* and in store, but make sure you take a look at the product and see if you can make it yourself!! If you need inspiration, check out our projects on the home page, we have new posts up weekly with seasonal and holiday specials.
*Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. There may be a small commission made by our recommendations, and/or link to products mentioned or services on this website. Any potential purchase you make will help us continue to bring you amazing content, step-by-steps and product reviews. Products are not exact to what we use, be sure these materials are right for you!